Sunday, January 30, 2022

Wellness at Work Post pandemic

 Ever since companies and organizations started making plans to go back to in person work,  I have been thinking alot of wellness in the workplace.  Never before has something like this been more needed in the work environment.  The need to adjust to being in close proximity to one another, to spending the whole day in a mask, the constant cleaning up and making our spaces are clean, and adjusting back to the culture of the workplace and the fast paced routine.   When we worked from home, even though the nature of our work didn't change - our environment was controlled - we learned to create spaces that would allow for balance, concentration and wellness.  I look back at our home and how in the last two years how it has changed - all so that we could function optimally - and not feel burned out.  But as we go back to in person - we won't have the luxury of creating a separate space- our cubicles will still be there - and the same lunch room - and unless leadership start thinking of the kinds of adjustments that staff will need to make or implement we will see employees struggle with the return to work.  As someone who is responsible for running a program I am always checking in with my staff to make sure that they are doing okay.  We will be approaching two years in march of being remote - and throughout this time, my number one priority has been to make sure the staff is not over burdened.  Whether it be offering a support group for them to adjust to the pandemic, to hosting laughter session nights, to just creating a space for them to vent - it has helped in surviving through the pandemic in a virtual setting.  The work we do is emotionally exhausting and especially in a virtual setting makes it extremely challenging.  Our advocates listen day in and day out to stories of pain, shame, guilt and provide that emotional support, advocacy and time for our clients and it is so important that they are provided with the right coping tools and that they know that they are being supported in their workplace.   

What does this have to do with journaling?  Thinking about getting close to two years working virtually is scary - and I noticed that with the never ending recurrences covid variants and continued restrictions - it is starting to take a toll on staff.  So I thought to myself - what can I do for them?  What can I offer to help manage their stress levels? I started thinking of journaling as a writing tool and how it is extremely cathartic, and can also be fun with the right prompts.  So i started a monthly journaling group for staff - a space to write and carve out self-care time.  We had our first one this past friday and I am so glad we did it.  We talked about the many benefits of journaling and then provided them with guided writing prompts and shared.  It was a safe space and a time of healing.  And I could see from the look on their faces that they were enjoying it.  That gave me great satisfaction - and reaffirmed my need to do more of this.   I may not be able to bring about organizational change but what I can do is provide pathways for those I work with to make time for wellness and self-care.   

I hope that companies begin taking a look at the their employee's mental health and emotional health as we return to in person. I hope they take the time to have honest discussions about how awkward, difficult and uneasy this is - and I hope they give employees the space to find the normalcy once again.  

I leave you with a journal prompt that I think really helped me remember how much has changed over the years...

- Think of life pre-pandemic and where you are now - what has changed? What hasn't?  Begin with the prompt:  I Remember.....

Write for five minutes nonstop!

Happy Journaling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment