Friday, August 13, 2021

I surrender....

When life throws you lemons, make lemonade.  

I never knew what that really meant - my first instinct was when life throws you lemons- throw it right back - until i got it.  Make lemonade is an art - the right amount of lemons, the right amount of sugar, water - not too sour, not too sweet.  Squeezing out the lemons is like  squeezing our negative emotions - getting rid of it , so that we can enjoy that nice cool refreshing sip.  

That is how life is when we are put in situations that come unexpectedly.  We can either take the long road of fighting back, of projecting the future outcome, of becoming overwhelmed, of giving up and expecting the worse.  Especially when the "lemons" keep being thrown at you one after another.  How many of us want to react and hit right back when we are put in uncomfortable situations or unexpected situations. Life transitions, job transitions, medical issues, the list can go on - our first instinct is to react or be numb.  I for one am known for reacting - not responding.  And I made a decision a while back, that if this was what life is made out of - why not learn to respond mindfully.  


What does that involve?  It involves taking stock of the situation - seeing your role in it and responsibility and being in a position to open it up to a higher power or the universe to take over.   Whatever your spiritual belief system - there is a sense of security when you know that you are supported by the universe, God, Higher Power, spirit - whatever you want to name it.  And that has been my practice lately because it allows me to learn to let go of things that are beyond my control. It is an actual affirmation that I repeat to myself that I offer this to you and ask you take care of it - and guide me in the right manner with wisdom and compassion.   There is a pose in yoga called Child's Pose....which is the ultimate act of surrender....bowing your forehead to the ground and allowing your body to let go and simply relax....this pose has taught me to practice letting go....

The moment I do that, I feel light, because it is not my problem anymore and I have handed it over.  What does one do with the thoughts that keep surfacing or ruminating that is beyond one's control?  I practice deep breathing to center myself and I have also begun to physically remove myself from a situation - like go for a walk, or call a friend, or read a book, or cook something - to get my mind of the topic.  So my attention is on something else.   I have found that that period of inactivity - or activity actually has been helpful because ideas begin forming and it is as if there is the inner guidance that is showing me the way and the path.   

Learning to trust the inner guidance takes courage because often I have to do things that is out of my comfort zone -but like everything else it take practice and courage.  The more I do it the better I become at it.   

Journal Prompt:
When life throws me lemons I .......
You can use this in different ways -Make a list, write for five minutes nonstop ,or if you want to be creative write your own meme....

Happy Journaling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment