Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Owning your story

 Over the last couple of weeks I have been listening to Brene Brown's Podcast on Gifts of Imperfection with her sisters.  This is hard work, which requires honesty, vulnerability, courage and the willingness to be open to change.  What I have loved about it is the dynamic between the sisters and the connection they share.  A bond- a beautiful bond - very candid and raw.   As kids we are all exposed to some level of dysfunctionality within our family.   Some of us have high level trauma and many of us don't really spend the time as a family (as adults) to talk about it.   We deal with it in our own individual way or we totally shut it out.  These three sisters have taken the time to work on themselves and the trauma that impacted them as children into adulthood and are open about it.  It is so refreshing to see such honesty and authenticity.  It is an invitation to learn to accept our own worthiness with all our flaws and imperfections. And it has been the perfect piece to listen to at this point in my life.  

I am at a point in my life where i am continuously working to be myself - i see my flaws, but i don't want to lose myself.   I think the pandemic and lockdown allowed me to go deeper into that space without any judgment.   It has meant being vulnerable at work when the workload felt too much for me and my staff and I had to voice it.  It meant setting boundaries at home so that I could have me time.  It meant asking for help in the home because I am one person and I don't need to prove to myself that I can do it all.  You see my mother did it all - and on some level I want to prove to myself that I can be her - but I am not her - so I had to let go of that too. It meant saying no things I don't want to do anymore because it does enriching to my soul.   It is about choosing who I want to surround myself with and whom I don't.  It meant taking my exercise and lifestyle issues into my own hands and creating a routine for myself so I can feel good about myself physically- and it is because I finally want to - not because of what others want for me.   All of that is work, and it takes a lot of time. And then there is a the concept of play - allowing ourselves and giving ourselves permission to relax and play.  For some like myself - that is a very difficult thing to do - this strong work ethic that if I am not constantly busy I am not productive is ingrained in my head - and if i just allow myself to sit there is a sense of guilt that crops up in me ( well it used to) - I am getting better and better at it - The world today needs compassion - but compassion starts within us - if we cannot be compassionate with ourselves - how can we expect to do that with others.  We must start within us - so it can be a ripple effect to those around us.  We become more forgiving and more tolerant.   If you are interested in listening to this here is the link...https://brenebrown.com/unlockingus/


Journal Prompt: 

Read the quote below  and write about your story?  What is the story you want to own?  



Happy Journaling!!


No comments:

Post a Comment