Friday, June 25, 2021

What the children saw

 
What the children saw....

Over the last 18 months or so,  I can't help but reflect on what the kids have seen through these months.   I began reflecting on it more lately because my son was to write a speech for his 8th grade graduation.   And we were going down the list of things that made a permanent mark for him - example - the Australian fires -Kobe Bryant's death, Chadwick Boseman death, the end of a trump presidency - and then he said the word "COVID."  In between that George Floyd's murder and the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement -   It was an interesting exercise to go down memory lane with him - but definitely not the kind of memory lane that is normal.   Their last 18 months were either confined to a screen, family time and also being exposed to the numerous current events that continued to shape their young minds. 

It's just so much and I can't help but wonder how that gets processed in their brains.    Does it make a child to want to do more to change the world?  Or does it make them indifferent?  That - this is the way of the world and there is nothing we can do about it?  Or does it make them live in fear that something bad is going to happen?  I feel for these kids - b/c even though i had my share of current events while growing up - this is a slightly different.  This can seriously alter the way a child internalizes or externalizes the world around them.  I went to visit someone the other day - and her daughter who is 6 said to me "I have missed you".  Her mom said, " but u see her on facetime". and then her daughter said the most profound thing " But there is a difference with the human connection- and seeing someone live."  yes there is!!! She is so right and coming from a young one who spent 18 months in lockdown and on zoom classes because school was virtual.   

And then I think about the moms and dads who have little ones who are doing absolutely everything to entertain their kids so they are not glued to a device - from arts and crafts, to dance parties to playing dress up - and I give them kudos - because it is not easy.   

Children are resilient that is for sure- they survive and come out stronger -some better than others.  But we have an obligation to provide safety and a normal life for them as we come out of this pandemic.  We owe it to them since they are the ones that I feel have suffered the most.  I think about the ones that are living in silence and unable to call out for help - I think about the ones who were isolated and began having symptoms of anxiety and depression as a result of this pandemic - and then I think about the ones who decided that they are going to make the most of their time and do something creative or challenge themselves.   

I hope especially as summer has officially begun kids of all ages get to feel carefree, happy, and just get to be kids no matter what stage they are in their lives.  School will come again in the fall and they will go back to the daily grind - but hopefully this summer - they just get to play - like they used to before the pandemic.  

Journal Prompt:  What does it mean to play for you?  Write about playing in the sand.  Write about playing in water.  Or you can begin with the sentence "I play to .....

Happy Journaling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment